Brother printer can be connected wirelessly to your Windows or Mac computer. If you want to connect your Brother machine to a wireless network, you should know the right procedure for doing so. Those who have no clue about Brother printer setup, we are here to enlighten you.
Detailed Steps for Brother Printer Setup
To proceed with the Brother printer wireless setup, you will need to have Network Name (SSID) and Network Key (Password). Once you gather the wireless security information, you can connect your Brother printer with your computer.
When it prompts you to enter the details for getting connected to the wireless connection, you can enter the same network key and password you noted down earlier. Later, you can complete the Brother printer setup by downloading and installing the driver.
If you are willing to proceed with the Brother printer wireless setup, it is essential to follow a series of steps shared below: Also, remember this guide includes the steps for both Windows and Mac users.
Before setting up the Brother printer wirelessly, you are required to get the wireless network settings of the access point or wireless router. Make sure you note down these settings for the wireless network as you will need them later during the Brother printer setup.
Information That You Need to Find
- Network Key, i.e., Security Key, Encryption Key, or Password.
- Network Name, i.e., ESSID or SSID.
Where to Find the Network Key and Network Name?
To find the Network Key and Network Name, you can check the side or bottom area of the access point or wireless router. You may also check the documentation that is provided with the access point or wireless router.
What If You Cannot Find the Wireless Network Settings?
There can be scenarios when you are unable to find the wireless network settings on the wireless router. In that case, you can find the wireless security details manually on Windows and Mac systems.
Find Wireless Security Information on Windows
If your Windows computer is connected to the wireless network, you can easily locate the wireless security settings.
Note: These steps are eligible for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 systems.
To make the procedure convenient, Brother has launched the Wireless Setup Helper. You can download this utility to locate the security settings of the wireless network such as Network Key and SSID.
- Download the Wireless Setup Helper based on your Windows version.
- Then, you can run this utility on the computer connected to the wireless network.
This will help you to find the SSID and Network key. Note down the wireless security settings as you will require them later.
Find Wireless Security Information on Mac
Looking for the wireless security settings on the Mac system is easy if your computer is connected to the wireless network. However, Ethernet cable users will have to contact the network admin or router manufacturer to determine the wireless security settings.
To find Network Password, the following instructions can be followed on Mac:
- Select Go.
- Click Utilities.
- Open Keychain Access with a double-click.
- Depending on your Mac version, do the following under the Keychains option:
- Mac OS X v10.5.x: Select All Items and find the Network option from the list. If you don’t find the Network option, click All Items, select Password, and then find the Network option from the list.
- Mac OS X v10.6.x or Later: Select Login and find the Network option from the list. If you don’t find the Network option, click Login, select System, and then find the Network option from the list.
- From the Name category, click twice on the Network Name (SSID).
- Switch to the Attributed tab.
- Place a checkmark for the Show Password option.
- Now, add your Keychain password or Mac admin password when prompted.
- Select OK or Allow.
- Note down the password you see in the Show password field. This will be required for setting up the Brother printer wirelessly.
To find Network Name, the following instructions can be followed on Mac:
- Select the Airport or WiFi icon located in the Menu bar.
- Then, select the Open Network Preferences.
- Select Airport or WiFi icon from the network connections list.
- Ensure that the Network Name is available and then select Advanced.
- From the Airport or WiFi section, make sure you note down the Security type and Network Name from the Preferred Networks list.
Important Note: If your access point or wireless router uses WEP encryption with different WEP keys then you should write them down and use the first WEP key only.
Please remember the screen and the feature name may differ depending on the version you are using on the Mac operating system.
If this method does not help, you can contact your router manufacturer or internet service provider to provide you with the wireless security details.
As you have noted down the wireless security information, you can continue setting up the Brother printer on a wireless network.
Read on to know the Brother printer wireless setup:
- To get started, connect the cables to the Brother device and the main power source.
- Then, power on the Brother printer device.
- After this, go to the Control Panel of your Brother printer.
- Click the Menu option.
- Use the Up and Down arrow keys to choose Network.
- Click OK.
- Then, use the Up and Down arrow keys to choose WLAN.
- Click OK.
- Again, use the Up and Down arrow keys to choose Setup Wizard.
- Click OK.
- When you see the WLAN Enable option, click Yes. This will turn on the wireless network and open the wireless setup wizard.
- At this point, your device will start searching for the network and will show a number of available Network Names (SSIDs). You can use the Up and Down arrow keys to choose the SSID you saved earlier and then click OK.
- After this, If you are using an encryption and authentication method which requires a password then enter your Network Key and hit the OK button. Click Yes to complete the settings.
- In case Open System is the authentication method and the encryption mode is None then continue with the next step.
At this moment, your Brother printer successfully connects with the wireless network based on the settings you have applied. As a confirmation, you can check if the LCD of your printer is showing Connected status.
Step 3: Downloading and Installing the Brother Printer Software for Wireless Printing
After successfully following the Brother printer setup, you are required to install the brother printer drivers. The procedure may vary for both Windows and Mac users.
Installing the Driver on Windows
- Start downloading the Full Driver and Software Package from a trusted source.
- Then, continue following the instructions given on the Download page and complete the driver installation.
Installing the Driver on Mac
- Open the Downloads section and start downloading the Full Software Package.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
If you don’t find the Full Software Package then download the Scanner Driver and Printer Driver. After this, continue following the instructions for completing the installation. In any case, if you don’t find the Scanner Driver and Printer Driver then use AirPrint.
It is easy to perform a Brother printer wireless setup. All you have to do is to fetch the network name and password and connect the Brother device with the wireless security information you gathered. Thereafter, you can complete the driver installation for your Brother printer. Hopefully, this Brother printer setup guide helped you to connect your Brother printer to your computer wirelessly.