The Brother printer goes into Sleep Mode shortly after you perform the print job. Even if you send another print job, your printer will receive the print command, however, it takes a little time to wake up your printer machine. This might affect your time since you have to wait for your printer to be in the Ready Mode after it goes into Sleep mode. You can prevent this by adjusting the length of time before the Brother printer goes into Sleep Mode.
The timer setting, by default, is adjusted for 3 minutes. However, you can determine how long the machine will be idle before it goes into sleep mode. By changing the sleep time, you can extend the time duration for the printer machine to be in the ready mode. This can be done for Windows PCL driver, Windows BR-Script3 driver, and Macintosh driver users.
Remember: The settings you apply during the printer setup are saved automatically in your printer so you don’t have to set up the printer every time.
Windows PCL Driver
If you are using a PCL driver on a Windows computer, you can change the sleep time by adding the minutes manually in the Printer Function section. Here, we are showing how to set the timer through Microsoft Excel on Windows:
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Click on the File menu.
- Select the Print option.
- Here, you need to make sure that the printer model is selected.
- Then, select the Properties option.
- When the printer driver window opens, switch to the Advanced tab.
- Select Other Print Options.
- Click on the Sleep Time under the Printer Function section.
- Select the Manual option on the right.
- At this point, you can enter the time you would prefer for your printer to be in ready mode.
- Press the OK button.
After selecting the OK button, the setting is updated in your printer. Now, your Brother printer will go into Sleep Mode only after the time (in minutes) you have specified. As you perform these steps, the printer receives the print command and then continues to perform the print commands.
Windows BR-Script3 Driver
BR Script3 driver users can select the time for sleep mode from the Layout tab. Follow these steps to understand better:
- Launch Microsoft Excel.
- Go to the File menu.
- Click on the Print option.
- Make sure that the printer model is selected.
- Then, click on the Properties option.
- When the printer driver window opens, switch to the Layout tab.
- Click on the Advanced button located on the bottom right.
- In the Sleep Time section, you can choose the time (in minutes) using the drop-down menu.
- After that, hit the OK button to save settings.
Once done selecting the OK button, the setting is saved in your printer. As you do so, your Brother printer receives the print command and then continues to perform the print job. Also, the printer will go into Sleep Mode only after the time (in minutes) you have applied.
Macintosh Driver to Adjust Brother Printer Sleep Time
Macintosh driver users can go to the print settings. From there, you can change the sleep time manually from the Advanced tab. Perform the following steps to adjust the timer for sleep mode:
- Select the Print option from the File menu.
- Open the Print dialogue option.
- In the Presets, select the Print Settings option.
- Switch to the Advanced tab.
- Select the Manual option from the Sleep Time section.
- Now, enter the time you want to specify for your printer.
- Then, select the Print button.
By performing these steps, you can easily adjust the length of sleep timing. Now, the printer will go into Sleep Mode only after the time (in minutes) you have applied.
The Sleep Mode reduces power consumption. When your printer goes into Sleep Mode, it acts as if it is turned off. As a result, your printer machine takes time to be Ready state when you send other print jobs. By adjusting the sleep timer, you can update the settings and your printer can stay in a ready state for a longer time than usual.